Thursday, July 28, 2011

The Pleasure of Writing

I am not writing because I've become too wrapped up in rules in writing
and dos and don'ts of writing. I love writing down just what I feel when
I feel it, but I read somewhere that writing is a discipline and that I
should write everyday even in all I write about is just nonesense. I've
gotten so caught up with the hope to write better that it has hindered
me from writing freely. When I am writing I tend to be overly conscious
about rules and this hinders me from writing freely. Which brings me to
one good practice, I guess it's better to just write a draft. Write
freely and honestly. Then re-read it again for some adjustments and
corrections.

The reason I can't overcome this is because I have the tendency to
obsess about these things. When I found out that I should do everything
I can to improve my writing, I bought every book I can lay my hands on.
I bought and bought them but I failed to read them all the way through.
I lack follow through I guess. I cant get over this because I fail to
just sit down and write, even when I feel there is nothing to write
about. I wait for the urge to write, and believe me the urge does not
come easily.

The benefit I get from not writing is... nothing really.

Turning it around

I am glad that I am now over with my obsession with writing rules. My
writing is now flowing fluidly and my ideas are pouring on to paper
freely. I am not bothered at all by the rules and my main concern is to
translate my thoughts into words.

I am now enjoying my time to write. I am having the time of my life
recording my life into my writing. I find writing exhilarating and
therapeutic. I feel much better after having written down my thoughts. I
cherish my time I have in front of my computer and notebook since it has
been a gateway to free my mind of any baggage I carry around. Writing
has been a privilege rather than the burden I always thought it was.

0 comments: