Friday, March 6, 2009

fiction is drawing me in, thanks to Butch Dalisay

Lately, the idea of fiction is intriguing me. I’ve been yaking about how I wanted to write but how I was not good at creative writing at all. I realized that I never really sat down to write a simple short story. As in never. So maybe my predicament is not because of lack of talent but because of lack of trying. I have this book by a noted writer. The title: The Knowing Is In The Writing by Jose Y. Dalisay Jr. or Butch Dalisay as he is known here in the Philippines. I’ve had this book for years yet it has remained unread. I bought it when I started considering seriously giving writing a shot. Now I’ve decided to read it and fulfill its destiny: to teach me to write. This book is about fiction. It is a book that teaches the basics about fiction that a beginner writer should know about. It is a very interesting read. Very simply presented, very informative.

It has made me realize the occupational hazards of being a writer. You really have to be observant in every single thing that goes on in your life, no matter how mundane. Although I know this already through the numerous books I’ve read, I never really internalized it. This book finally drove the hammered the idea all the way in my stubborn brain. Live life, observe, experience. This is going to be a challenge for me. In a way I have to play dumb, and experience everything with a child’s wonder and curiosity. 

I have always been pressuring myself into coming up with a unique plot for my story. But Mr. Dalisay went on to comfort me by saying that writing a story that no one has ever written about is one of the hardest things to do. Since most stories are based on real life, the chance that that story hasn’t been told yet is really slim. So it is ok to re-tell a story, just infuse your own flavor to come up with an entirely different taste to the same dish.

I am inspired. I will write. Or maybe I should finish the book first…to fulfill its destiny and all.

0 comments: